View Photos Here


Hazen is located on Sec. 18, Twp. 144, Rge. 86, the original homestead of “Four Paw” Richard Farrington. Benjamin Oster, the last owner, sold the land to the Tuttle Land Co., who platted the town and named it Hazen.

The first settlers in this community were the Dolans, Gallaghers and Schafers. The post office was established by Alexander “Sandy” Roberts in 1884, and was named after Postmaster General Hazen. Most of the prominent businessmen of Hazen moved to this new town site from Krem. The first buildings to be erected were those of the Knife River Lumber Co. This company was managed by Frank Wernli. Jack Gallagher’s store and post office, Mike Keeley’s store building, and Richard Farrington’s hotel were built next.

The Citizen’s State Bank opened its doors on November 1, 1912 with Joseph Stephens, president, Dr. L.G. Eastman, vice president, and Jacob Krause acting as cashier. Dr. L. G. Eastman moved here soon after from Krem, also J. C. Schleppergrell, editor, who changed the name of his paper “The Mercer County Star” to “The Hazen Star."

During the following year numerous new buildings were constructed, and by fall it looked like an old established town.

Hazen’s great advantage was not only its location, but the fact that its businessmen had learned the value of community spirit when they were located at Krem.

(From the book: “1882 to 1960: History of Mercer County North Dakota” by C.B. Heinemeyer and Mrs. Ben Janssen.)

©2010 Hazen Centennial Committee. Hazen, ND 58545. All Rights Reserved. Driven Web Services